The Wisconsin State Fair certainly has a reputation for unique and unusual foods, but this year the selection has risen to a whole new level with the Fair’s Second Annual Food Competition, The Sporkies. Eight finalists have been selected from over 30 entries, and a panel of celebrity judges will choose the recipients of three Golden Spork Awards.
Golden Spork winners’ stands will be marked with large banners and ALL vendors who entered will feature a poster at their Fair location(s). All food items entered will also be available for purchase during this year’s State Fair (such as Lulu’s Caribbean Crepes, pictured below).
The second annual Sporkies Competition has again promoted creativity and ingenuity among Fair food vendors, who were encouraged to add some flair and pizzazz to their entries (like the Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Dog, shown below). To be considered for the competition, vendors were required to submit a new food item as well as a detailed description, ingredient list and photos.
NEW this year, the final judging and presentation of The Golden Spork Award for each of the three categories will be open to the public. Judging will begin at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 29 at the Bank Mutual Amphitheater at Wisconsin State Fair Park.
The celebrity judges will taste, deliberate and eventually choose winners in each of the following categories: “Best Tasting,” “Most Creative” and “Grand Champion.” The judging panel will be moderated by “Wisconsin Foodie” host, all-around food aficionado and emcee Kyle Cherek. The 2014 Sporkies celebrity judges are:
- Joe Bartolotta, Milwaukee Restaurateur
- Theresa Nemetz, Milwaukee Food & City Tours
- Gilbert Brown, Super Bowl Champion and Green Bay Packer Hall of Famer
- April Aceto, Food Blogger and Photographer of FoodnFocus.com
- Jeff Sherman, Publisher, Founder and Owner of OnMilwaukee.com
Also NEW this year, Fair guests are encouraged to participate in the judging during the Fair by sampling all of The Sporkies entries and voting for their favorites via social media or at the new Guest Services Pavilion, located on Central Avenue near Central Park and the Exposition Center. Judging for the #FairgoersFave will be open during the first several days of the Fair and the entry with the most votes will also be awarded a Golden Spork Trophy.
2014 Sporkies Finalists:
- Peanut Butter Bacon Bison Burger (PB3) – Exotic Meat Grill
- Bacon Wrapped Cherrywood Smoked Pork Belly On-a-Stick – Saz’s Ribs
- Chicken-n-Waffle Cone – Water Street Brewery
- Deep Fried Maple Bacon Cookie Dough – Emma’s Cookie Kitchen
- Dolce Panino (Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich) – La Coppa Artisan Gelato
- Grannie Smith Caramel Apple Shake – Flavorburst Ice Cream
- Loaded Twister Dog – Water Street Brewery
- Lulu’s Caribbean Crepes – Tropics at the Fair
Please CLICK HERE for a list for all of the 2014 Sporkies Entries and Finalists. All Sporkies submissions will be available for purchase during the 2014 Wisconsin State Fair.